Welcome to Scituate
Scituate is a small to mid-sized seacoast community located equidistant between Boston and Plymouth. In the 375 years since its incorporation, it has evolved from a summer colony to a residential community but has managed to retain some of the flavor of its past. Ocean-related recreational activities make it a very desirable place in which to live and to raise families.
Its Town Pier accommodates a working fishing fleet and that, coupled with three business areas, represents commercial interests in the town. Scituate also has a strong sense of its history and commemorates its founding in August each year via the celebration of “Heritage Days”.
Historic points of interest include: Scituate Lighthouse, The Old Oaken Bucket Homestead and Well, The Lawson Tower, Stockbridge Mill and the Cudworth House as well as the Little Red School House which is the home of the Scituate Historical Society.
Residents pride themselves on the strength of their school system and on the achievements of the great percentage of students (85%) who go on to higher education from Scituate Public Schools. The Town of Scituate is a delightful mix of rural, suburban and seaside lifestyles within a 25 mile ride to the City of Boston.
The name Scituate is derived from an Indian word which the early settlers understood as Satuit, which means “Cold Brook”, and referred to the small stream flowing into the harbor; this they spelled in various ways as Sityate, Cituate, Seteat, etc., and it was not until about 1640 that the name came to be universally spelled in its present form. No one knows why the silent “c” was added, but around that time it was quite common to add this “c” to such words as site, situation, etc.
Scituate more than any other location along the shore of Cape Cod Bay presented to the explorer a distinctive front toward the sea which very soon after the settlement at Plymouth attracted venturesome colonists to our shores looking for fertile lands to cultivate and perhaps to find a suitable place to live and establish their homes. The sea front marked as it was by four water washed gravel cliffs suggested good planting lands in the interior, and it was on one of these cliffs that the first use of the land was made for this purpose, this was previous to 1628, we do not know for sure the exact year the first plantings were made here.